Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums ANSYS Fluent Beginners to Advanced level Volume extraction of Centrifugal pump

• MIDHUN

October 4, 2023 at 12:45 pm

Haie harsha ,

It would be better if you can take a plane including inlet and outlet it looks like outlet is at some angle , which could help to a better clarity on the extracted domain.

• Harshavardhan

October 7, 2023 at 7:41 pm

hi midhu

i have taken the center plane which includes both inlet and outlet

• Harshavardhan

October 10, 2023 at 5:48 pm

Hi Midhu

Any update on the above response would be helpful for me to proceed further

• Loubna

October 4, 2023 at 4:29 pm

Hello

I think you should delete the shaft connecting the pump to the motor. The fluid circulates from inlet to outlet, passing through the impeler.

• Harshavardhan

October 7, 2023 at 7:36 pm

Hi loubna

thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, when I remove the shaft I got the following error

• MIDHUN

October 13, 2023 at 9:40 am

Haie Harshavardhan konka,

There was a technical issue when we updated the website ,we have replied to the query but unfortunately posts on 8-10-2023 and 9-10-2023 got deleted. The shaft is not needed you can close that gap using repair tool or split body to cut the shaft and then again carry out the volume extract. If in case you use direct delete option, then some parts will become surface body . Please ensure before filling all the parts are solid body .It would be helpful if you can take separate pictures of solid domain ,then fluid region and the combined one. Also please do check that preview option is enabled so that you can check for any leakages which will help you in confirming your fluid domain. There looks like some transparency issue which is the reason why I told may be there is some surface body present . Regarding edge error it may be that the volume extract tool must be able to merge all the bodies…then it finds all the internal faces and makes a solid out of them. If the bodies can’t merge, you may get the edge error maybe it could be due to some surface body creation . In these cases, slight edits/repairs to the geometry – that won’t impact the fluid volume – must be made to get them to merge.

Regards

FlowThermolab Support Team

• Harshavardhan

October 13, 2023 at 7:45 pm

Hi Midhun,

I tried these options , but I could not extract the volume body.

• Harshavardhan

October 14, 2023 at 12:09 am

Hi

I have made a volume extract which I am sure its not right. Would like to understand how can i proceed from here.

• MIDHUN

October 16, 2023 at 7:22 am

Haie ,

There is issue with region of fluid domain it seems like some part of blade is also coming inside fluid as blade is metal and rather it should be a cavity. Then it can be also inherent cad issue while exporting may be some features are removed or missing .You can check the source geometry try to check with other export options . Some inherent errors may be difficult fix you can always check leakages while doing volume extract and modify the solid domain accordingly. It would be hard to comment on the geometry without actually using it these could be few reasons for error which you can check from your end.

• Harshavardhan

October 16, 2023 at 7:52 am

hi

this is the model provided by flowthermal lab

• Sandeep

Administrator
          October 16, 2023 at 10:03 am

Harshavardhan,

Those are intentional because in real applications you will never get a perfect geometry/CAD file. You have to do a lot of cleanup and then do fluid domain extraction. This is the most time-consuming part of CFD simulations. This will be a good exercise for you and put more effort into getting the concepts cleared.

• Harshavardhan

November 7, 2023 at 8:10 pm

Hello Dr. Sandeep & midhun ,

I would like to understand if the volume extract is performed correctly.

• Harshavardhan

November 7, 2023 at 8:48 pm
    • MIDHUN

November 8, 2023 at 6:54 am

Haie,

Can you also take such a cross sectional view which you have done earlier for the same.

• Harshavardhan

November 9, 2023 at 5:33 am
    • MIDHUN

November 10, 2023 at 5:37 am

Haie,

Looks fine and impeller is modelled as cavity

error: Content is protected !!