Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums OpenFOAM Forum Unable to open stl file in paraview using foam.foam

• Unable to open stl file in paraview using foam.foam

Posted by Jishnu S on September 25, 2023 at 5:18 pm

I tried to do my homework on meshing the cylinder.stl file, but I am unable to view it using paraview. I copied the motorBike case directory into the run folder, created triSurface folder in constant, and copied the cylinder.stl into it.

I then created a foam.foam file and tried to open it using paraview but it is showing an error.

Error messages:

• ERROR: In vtkOpenFOAMReader.cxx, line 11320
      vtkPOpenFOAMReader (000002BBF530F170): \wsl.localhostUbuntuhomejishnu09OpenFOAMjishnu09-v2306runmotorBikefoam.foam contains no meshes.
    • ERROR: In vtkExecutive.cxx, line 741
      vtkPVCompositeDataPipeline (000002BBF18F6690): Algorithm vtkPOpenFOAMReader (000002BBF530F170) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (000002BBFA569C70)
      Debug: Off
      Modified Time: 392415
      Reference Count: 1
      Registered Events: (none)
      Request: REQUEST_INFORMATION
      FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
      ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1

PS:

• I am using WSL Ubuntu.
    • paraview is installed as a separate application in Windows.
    Barış Bicer replied 8 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Rahul

September 26, 2023 at 8:32 am

Hi Jishnu,

You can open the STL file directly in Paraview. When you try to open the foam.foam file it loads all OF related files, like mesh,results etc. The error may be because you have not yet created the mesh and results.
    Even for post-processing, after opening the foam.foam file, you can open the stl file along with that if the geometry is also required.

Best regards

Flowthermolab support team

• Barış Bicer

September 30, 2023 at 11:13 am

hi Jishnu,

In the WSL installation unfortunately you cant use directly paraview on the terminal to open since in WSL paraivew is installed separately. Therefore, please first open paraview and then manually paste the path of case and then load foam.foam file.

error: Content is protected !!