Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums OpenFOAM Forum Turbulence modeling

• Turbulence modeling

Posted by zeinababosedaira on April 7, 2022 at 3:40 pm

Hello Baris,
    I am working now with turbulence models, and I have a problem determining the turbulence coefficients. I am copying a tutorial so the coefficients are there, but I don’t know whether they are good for my application or not. So my question is what should we know in order to be able to determine the coefficients, and whether there is a best practice for this process, or is it all a trial and error? Thank you!

zeinababosedaira replied 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Barış Bicer

April 10, 2022 at 8:22 am

Hello Zeinab,

Truely, speaking the turbulent coefficients are defined by experiments according to different cases. However, since it is not possible to make experiment for all cases, we just assume that these values can be applicable (at least we think like that 🙂 ) for our cases.

For RANS models, there is not so big problems since we are getting average of fluctuating velocity. However, depending of the difficulties of problem we can switch to URANS, DES, DDES, LES or the the most precise model DNS to resolve the turbulent scales according to wish of accuracy.

As summary, yes you are right. Normally, coefficients are problem specific and should be determined by best practise. However, we dont have so much time in industry and we need data 🙂 Therefore, CFD is mostly based on assumptions and your expectations…

DONT FORGET: More accuracy more PAIN :))))

Hope it addresses your question.

Best.

Barış

• zeinababosedaira

April 14, 2022 at 9:19 am

Hello Dr. Baris,
    yess, this addresses my question. Thank you so much. :))

error: Content is protected !!