Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums OpenFOAM Forum SurfaceFeatureExtract in DTC HULL case

• SurfaceFeatureExtract in DTC HULL case

Posted by Lakshmisree on January 17, 2024 at 12:49 pm

why are we not giving ‘surfaceFeatureExtract’ comment in DTC HULL case, why directly running snappyHexMesh command? How the software is going to understand the edges of geometry if we are not giving surfaceFeatureExtract?

Barış Bicer replied 2 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Barış Bicer

January 17, 2024 at 9:10 pm

did you check my previous message in the similar post?

just think why do you need surfaceFeatureExtract?

• Lakshmisree

January 18, 2024 at 4:11 am

I understand why there is no refinement levels for DTC_Hull.emesh in the Features dictionary in snappyHexMeshDict. My question is we will get DTC_hull.emesh only after giving the ‘surfaceFeature Extract’ command right? why are we not giving that command when meshing?

• Rahul

January 18, 2024 at 6:40 am

Hi Lakshmisree,
    You can see from the lesson (around 11min into the video) that the surfaceFeatureExtract tool is used even in the DTC Hull case after copying the stl geometry file to extract the features. Please recheck if you have followed the steps in the corresponding video or not. As you have mentioned, after this step the eMesh file is generated which is then used by snappyHexMesh also.
    Please try to understand why these steps are being done before doing the mini project which is required for the certificate, else you may have difficulty in doing the project.
    Best regards
    Rahul
    Flowthermolab support

• Barış Bicer

January 23, 2024 at 10:12 pm

Thanks Rahul for clear explanation!

error: Content is protected !!