Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums OpenFOAM Forum Some general confusion about openfoam

• Some general confusion about openfoam

Posted by Xin on January 29, 2024 at 6:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I just beginner of openfoam, I have two question about openfoam
    1. why after I type blockMesh it runs? Is blockMesh the excutable file name compiled from c++?
    just curious about the stucture of openfoam.

2. How can I monitor the residual with gui like FLuent, so that I know how the simulation runs.
    Thank you inadvace for reply.😀

Best regards,
    Xin Xiong

Xin replied 2 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Xin

January 29, 2024 at 8:43 pm

I would like to add the question about the installation, I install openfoam on my windows sub system and docker. I prefered install it in that way. Does that effect the learning of the openfoam in this course?

• Rahul

January 30, 2024 at 11:24 am

Hi Xin,

1) blockMesh is a utility in OpenFOAM which is used for mesh generation. Since it is already compiled, we can call the utility directly from the command line.

2) As such, OpenFOAM does not have a GUI where the residuals can be monitored in real time like in Fluent. But, the residuals can be seen as text in the command window and can be written to a log file as well. The residuals can be plotted using GNU plot once the simulation run is complete. This is discussed in the OpenFOAM course.

3) There will be no difference in the commands while running OpenFOAM using WSL as long as the ESI version on OpenFOAM is being used. The difference will be that you need to install Paraview and GNUplot on Windows and not in the Linux environment as WSL does not have a GUI. So, for postprocessing, you will have to open Paraview manually from windows and open the foam.foam file instead of opening it from the WSL window.

Regards
    Rahul
    Flowthermolab support

• Xin

February 12, 2024 at 10:00 am

Hi Rahul,

I just want to add that there is a “dictionary.h” file in OpenFOAM. I just curious why text file can be run and as an input file in all OpenFOAM cases. Now I understand that OpenFOAM defines its own class to read the input. That’s what I want to ask for the first question. Thank you.

Xin Xiong

error: Content is protected !!