Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums OpenFOAM Forum OpenFoam for Beginner

• OpenFoam for Beginner

Posted by Shubham on February 29, 2024 at 9:01 am

Hello

I could not able to run NACA AIRFOIL simulation, when i using blockMesh command it showing error, similarly kind of error when using sonicFoam solver command. For your reference please find attached error details

Thanks

Shubham replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Rahul

February 29, 2024 at 3:22 pm

Hi Shubham,

The naca airfoil case in OpenFoam does not need a block mesh. The tutorial shows how to convert mesh format using the star4ToFoam command for the mesh. So instead of blockMesh, use the star4ToFoam command to convert the mesh and then run the simulation using sonicFoam. For reference, you can check the commands in the Allrun file in the copied folder.

Best regards
    Rahul
    Flowthermolab support

• Barış Bicer

March 3, 2024 at 9:43 pm

Good reply Rahul.

Thanks

• Shubham

March 4, 2024 at 5:21 am

Thank you @baris.bicer @Rahul for your reply. After run command in terminal as you suggested

I was still getting error. Please have a look attached error details

• Rahul

March 4, 2024 at 7:37 am

Hi Shubham,

Please check the help command as mentioned in the interface using “star4ToFoam -help” to get more details on the arguments required for the command when not familiar with the usage.

This command requires the name of the STARCD mesh file for execution. Please check if you have copied the mesh file from the resources folder into the run directory of the problem, and use the corresponding file name as the argument. This format for other conversions is also mentioned in the course in Lesson 9.

Best regards
        Rahul

• Shubham

March 4, 2024 at 9:33 am

Hi Rahul

Thank you for your reply , i have copied resource geometry folder to working directory, but it doesnot contain any mesh file

Please have a look attached image

• Shubham

March 4, 2024 at 10:06 am

Can we have zoom call to discussion on this?

• Rahul

March 4, 2024 at 12:25 pm

Hi Shubham,

You have 2 options to do this:

1. Without copying to the running folder:
    Execute the command –

star4ToFoam -scale 1 “$FOAM_TUTORIALS”/resources/geometry/nacaAirfoil/nacaAirfoil

2. Copy the folder:
    Copy the nacaAirfoil folder contents to the running folder. Copy all the .gz and .inp files using the command (to be executed from the running folder:
    cp -r $FOAM_TUTORIALS/resources/geometry/nacaAirfoil .

Then run the conversion utility

star4ToFoam nacaAirfoil

Please try if this works out. I have checked it from my side. Let me know if any error comes up.
    We generally try to resolve errors through the forum/emails and go for support calls if the issue cannot be solved here or it persists even after different trials.

Best regards

Rahul

• Shubham

March 5, 2024 at 5:00 am

Hi Rahul

Thank you so much for your reply!

Above solution worked for me, write now mesh has been created but still error when i am executing the command SonicFoam which is solver for this tutorial.

Please check the attached details

• Rahul

March 5, 2024 at 6:48 am

Hi Shubham,

You need to change the symmetry boundary to empty for this problem. You can replace the words symmetry in the constant/polymesh/boundary file with ’empty’. Doing this resolves the issue.

You should also take a look at the Allrun file, as I mentioned earlier too, when you encounter such errors to see if you have missed out some steps, along with the description of the error message and try to identify the error. As you can see, the error message clearly mentions the error as difference between the patch type and patch field.

Best regards
        Rahul

• Shubham

March 5, 2024 at 10:35 am

Hi Rahul,

Thank you so much

Now its working for me

I tried to run all command of allrun file but it thrown error regarding mesh and boundary.

Thank you

• Shubham

March 5, 2024 at 6:47 am

Any update

error: Content is protected !!