Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums OpenFOAM Forum MultiRegion Problems

• MultiRegion Problems

Posted by zeinababosedaira on April 15, 2022 at 7:47 am

Hello Dr. Baris,

I have a question that I am facing in my graduation project. There is a field that is calculated continuously over two regions. However, when we come to the calculation of the gradient it’s not continuous because each field has a constant to be multiplied to. So I need to write something as follows div(k, phi) where k has a certain value in the 1st zone and a different value in the 2nd zone. I am asking about a dictionary that can help me with this; a dictionary that can help me define a constant with respect to zones. I heard about setFieldDict but not sure it addresses my problem.

Thank you so much.

Regards,
    Zeinab

Barış Bicer replied 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Barış Bicer

April 17, 2022 at 7:03 am

Hi Zainab,

First of all, I would like to remind all of you that this forum is only for topics related to course content. Otherwise, if we are getting individual and private questions that will be impossible to manage and handle it. I hope that you understand it.

Regarding to your question, I never worked about multi-region problem in OpenFOAM. I have several questions in my mind to define the problem:

1- Do you try to solve solve heat transfer problem between two different materials?
    2- Which solver do you for this specific problem since you cant use any solver for multi-region problems?
    3- If you need a field (k) which should be calculated in both region separately, then I think that you should make a slight chance in the solver? Most probably, solver does not know about k!!!
    4- setFields utility is mostly used for multi-phase problems to assign different phases’ positions before starting to simulations. I am not sure whether it can be used for multi-region problems or not.

I hope that it gives some idea regarding your problem.

Best.

Barış

error: Content is protected !!