Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums OpenFOAM Forum Mesh-Surface Layers

• Mesh-Surface Layers

Posted by Ali on January 12, 2023 at 7:00 am

Hello

I am using snappyhexmesh to generate mesh around wedge foil. I want to add 20 layers around the foil but the layers break near the leading edge and do not cover the foil, any suggestionsmesh?

Thank you

Barış Bicer replied 1 year, 3 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Barış Bicer

January 12, 2023 at 6:31 pm

Hi Ali,

this is sharp corner and difficult to take the normal of surface. Thats why my proposal is cut sharp corner edge  and make it non-sharp trailing edge.

That will help.

Best.

Baris

• Ali

January 13, 2023 at 1:44 am

Hey Baris,

Thanks for your comment, but as I mentioned this is the leading edge of the foil, and it’s not possible to modify the geometry.

• Barış Bicer

January 13, 2023 at 12:52 pm

if you directly use the available geometry then you are right not possible to modify. But this is just air foil and you can simply create similar one by drawing by yourself and then you can 2-3% cut the trailing edge to avoid sharp corner.

Best

• Ali

January 15, 2023 at 2:19 am

The geometry is wedge hydrofoil. The sharp edge is the leading edge, if I modify the geometry the case will not be practical!

• Barış Bicer

January 15, 2023 at 7:33 am

Truely speaking, the sharp corner production is non practical in industry.

You cant produce a sharp edge in production. Too difficult. therefore, all sharp edges have a short cut (around 2-3% of length) to be producible. And you can find several sources about this in literature. I did lots of  similar simplifications in the aircrafts.

For your info.

error: Content is protected !!