Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums ANSYS Fluent Beginners to Advanced level Lesson 8: Meshing rotational periodic geometry

• Lesson 8: Meshing rotational periodic geometry

Posted by Mathanraj K on January 20, 2024 at 6:41 pm

Hi !

I have got warning while meshing the impeller part.

Warning is “Stair-stepping of all boundary layers occurred at 28 locations”

Why this warning shows & it’s significance? & How to avoid this?

Thank you! 🙂

Raghu Karthik replied 4 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Raghu Karthik

January 21, 2024 at 4:36 am

Hi Mantharaj,
    I am your fellow flowthermolab student.

disclaimer: The following is said with 70% confidence. I want it to be reviewed by the flowthermolab support team.

In my observations I see that stair stepping occurred in constricted flow regions (neck like regions, sharp concave features in geometry) in the geometry. You can zoom into the mesh and find out these elements. If the inflation layer elements are too big to fit into the constricted flow region then some inflation elements towards the bulk flow are deleted or they may terminate abruptly. It means that you have to refine inflation layers. Stair stepping means your inflation layers are too big for a particular geometry features. In my simulations what I did is just calculate the dimension across smallest feature roughly and give inflation layers accordingly. I think it also depends on the size difference between the bulk mesh and inflation layers. If size difference is more transition is abrupt or not likely to be a good transition. so you can use BOI and check once. Also Try using different methods , poly – hexa – tetra in fluent meshers (try this first and observe any changes- you can share your observations here, so that it would be helpful for me and others ), you can see which method produces smoother transitions .

Thank you,

Karthik Sadasivuni

error: Content is protected !!