Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums StarCCM+ Forum Lesson 6a- Building of interest cleaning in star CCM+

• Lesson 6a- Building of interest cleaning in star CCM+

Posted by Shivanshu on November 27, 2023 at 4:10 pm

Hello sir, you have used the cleaned building of interest for meshing. The clean up you did it in some cad software. I want to ask if I want to do the similar clean up in star ccm+ itself. How can I do? I have used very fine target size for surface wrapper but still issue is not resolved. So if I want to do the similar clean up ( you did in some cad software) in star ccm+ itself how to do? Please guide

Andrew replied 4 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Andrew

November 27, 2023 at 4:53 pm

Hi Shivanshu,

So yes I claned up the building of interest CAD geometry file in a seperate software, as like you mentioned, the surface wrapper was not able to fully fix the issue.

Basically this can be done in any CAD software so if you wanted to you could use a free CAD software yourself to make the file such as the program “freecad”.

I probably wouldn’t recommend fixing the CAD inside star-ccm+ because we have imported an external CAD file (i.e. a step or STL file) so we will potentially lose geometrical information and at this point I would recommend going back to the source and fixing the problem there. So for me the source was, I built the CAD in freecad for example, so its best to go back to freecad and fix the issue.

However we have also provided the cleaned geometry so you don’t have to do this yourself. If you go to Lesson 6a, above the video there are two tabs, one for Lesson and one for Materials. If you click on Materials and click on the blue link called “Lecture6” this will download the files for you.

Let me know if you have any issues or further question!

Thanks,

Andrew

• Shivanshu

November 29, 2023 at 8:08 am

Hi Andrew. Thanks for your reply. But It will be great if you can provide clean up capabilities of StarCCM+ for such kind of geometry. Because in my industry only star CCM+ software is there which we need to use for clean up as well as for analysis. That’s why particularly I asked you this because sooner or later I have to clean this kind of step files in star CCM+ itself

• Andrew

November 29, 2023 at 9:30 am

Hi Shivanshu,

Yeah so the point I was trying to make was that if only Star-CCM+ is available to you for geometry creation and CAD cleanup. Then you would have created the geometry directly inside of Star-CCM+ to begin with, much like we did for the backwards facing step in the previous tutorial and similarily for the earlier lessons on geometry preparation and handling.

So in that case you would be able to directly edit the geometry in the 3D-CAD parts tree, as we were doing in the geometry preparation and handling lessons.

The issue we are facing here is only occuring because we have a poorly created STEP/STL file which was made outside of Star-CCM+, if you were to make the geometry directly inside Star-CCM+ this would not be an issue. I purposly made a poorly tessellated STL file in my CAD software and converted it into a STEP file. In doing so I lost a lot of geometrial information (on purpose) to deomonstrate this example. i.e. this would never happen if you were making the file within Star-CCM+ because you would be working with surface directly and have all the curve/geometrial information encoded directly.

Please try it for youself, you can just create a simple 3D-Part sketch of the geometry, extrude it out and then you would be able to modify this geometry however you wanted.

error: Content is protected !!