Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums OpenFOAM Forum Lesson 6 – vtkOpenFOAMReader Err

• Lesson 6 – vtkOpenFOAMReader Err

Posted by Deleted User on July 12, 2023 at 1:19 pm

Hey, guys
    When trying to open the motorBike.obj file, my system throws an error.
    I tested it by opening the motorBike.obj file in Blender and the 3D opened normally.
    But when executing the Lesson 6 procedure, I get an error.
    Could someone give me some guidance?

Barış Bicer replied 11 months ago 2 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Barış Bicer

July 12, 2023 at 9:23 pm

Hi,

I think that there is a problem in your paraview installation. Did you install it with openfoam package or separately? can you try paraFoam command only and can you paste here what do you see?

• Barış Bicer

July 12, 2023 at 9:24 pm

Hi,

I think that there is a problem in your paraview installation. Did you install it with openfoam package or separately? can you try paraFoam command only and can you paste here what do you see?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    July 12, 2023 at 10:04 pm

Dear Barış Bicer,

Thank you.

As requested, I send the images and output after the command paraFoam:

Output Messages:

ERROR: In ./VTK/IO/Geometry/vtkOpenFOAMReader.cxx, line 11322
    vtkPOpenFOAMReader (0x558c2a123f90): /home/raphael/OpenFOAM/raphael-v2306/run/motorBike/motorBike.foam contains no meshes.

ERROR: In ./VTK/Common/ExecutionModel/vtkExecutive.cxx, line 752
    vtkPVCompositeDataPipeline (0x558c2a12aeb0): Algorithm vtkPOpenFOAMReader(0x558c2a123f90) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (0x558c2a180a90)
    Debug: Off
    Modified Time: 295016
    Reference Count: 1
    Registered Events: (none)
    Request: REQUEST_INFORMATION
    ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
    FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0

Output from TERMINAL:

Invalid $PV_PLUGIN_PATH and -plugin-path= not defined
    No supplementary ParaView/OpenFOAM reader modules
    Using builtin reader: paraFoam -vtk

Created temporary ‘motorBike.foam’
    hwloc/linux: Ignoring PCI device with non-16bit domain.
    Pass –enable-32bits-pci-domain to configure to support such devices
    (warning: it would break the library ABI, don’t enable unless really needed).
    hwloc/linux: Ignoring PCI device with non-16bit domain.
    Pass –enable-32bits-pci-domain to configure to support such devices
    (warning: it would break the library ABI, don’t enable unless really needed).
    ( 1.243s) [paraview ] vtkOpenFOAMReader.cxx:11322 ERR| vtkPOpenFOAMReader (0x558c2a123f90): /home/raphael/OpenFOAM/raphael-v2306/run/motorBike/motorBike.foam contains no meshes.
    ( 1.246s) [paraview ] vtkExecutive.cxx:752 ERR| vtkPVCompositeDataPipeline (0x558c2a12aeb0): Algorithm vtkPOpenFOAMReader(0x558c2a123f90) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (0x558c2a180a90)
    Debug: Off
    Modified Time: 295016
    Reference Count: 1
    Registered Events: (none)
    Request: REQUEST_INFORMATION
    ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
    FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    July 13, 2023 at 7:46 am

Complementing the previous answer.
    Yes, I only installed the OpenFoam package indicated in the classes. I didn’t install any other programs.

• Barış Bicer

July 13, 2023 at 3:07 pm

I see that you didnt install paraview with openfoam or separately. Pleaase contact with support team and ask them to installa paraview!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    July 13, 2023 at 5:10 pm

Maybe I wasn’t clear in previous messages and I apologize if I really wasn’t clear: But it’s not true that I didn’t install ParaView either by package or separately.

The error that is occurring is only when opening the .obj file

So much so that in previous lessons I was able to proceed normally.

But i will try to get help.

Thank you!

• Barış Bicer

July 13, 2023 at 8:57 pm

Ok Raphael,

I got the point. Listen if you open paraview paraFoam that creates a file foam.foam and try to open your case with mesh and also try to load fields if available as I seen in your first post. If you wanna open .obj file, go to left top of paraview window and click “File–>open” then upload manually your .obj file. paraFoam will never open obj file automatically.

For your info. Try and let me know!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    July 14, 2023 at 11:45 am

Thanks for your patience and guidance. We’re still having problems.

1 – I reinstalled Paraview separately, so the errors with the VTK library no longer occurred.

2 – After creating the foam.foam file and executing the blockMesh command and executing the paraview foam.foam command, the result is just a hollow cavity, without the motorBike drawing (I lowered the opacity to see if the MotoBike would be there, but was not).

3 – On the next attempt, I applied the command paraFoam, again the same hollow cavity was presented.

4 – If I open the motorBike.obj file, manually, inside ParaView itself, then motorBike.obj is displayed.

But if I understood Lesson 6 correctly, this should have happened with the paraview foam.foam command, right?

• Barış Bicer

July 15, 2023 at 9:01 am

Lets start to reply with your  post #44071:

#Number 2: This is snappyHexMesh tutorial. blockMesh creates only background Mesh. Howe can you see motorbike without proceeding snappyHexMesh ???

General RULE: paraFoam (that creates .foam.foam file automatically) or paraview foam.foam (you should create foam.foam file manually) always loads openfoam mesh and fields into paraview. paraview only pop-ups paraview GUI and you have to load everything manually! DONT FORGET THIS! If you dont have proper mesh or fields paraview will give you complain!!!!

Regarding to opening .obj file YOU MUST UPLOAD IT MANUALLY, OTHERWISE THERE IS NO OTHER COMMAND TO OPEN IT AUTOMATICALLY…

so your first command above is wrong. There is no any command to open .obj file automatically in paraview.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    July 14, 2023 at 5:54 pm

Dear Barış Bicer

The problem that was occurring is the following:

1 – In “Lesson 6: What is SnappyHexMesh?” in the first video, at 13 minutes and 45 seconds, it is indicated that to open the motorBike.obj file, the command should be “paraview foam.foam“.
    2 – As a beginner on both Linux and OpenFOAM, I ended up trying to do this trusting that the information was correct.
    3 – Only now, watching Lesson 7 – from 6 minutes and 12 seconds to 6 minutes and 40 seconds, the instructor tries to apply the command “paraview foam.foam“, corrects and types only “paraview” and opens it manually.

I hope this can save the instructor and other colleagues time.

error: Content is protected !!