Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums ANSYS Fluent Beginners to Advanced level lesson 16 Internal flow . Mesh Quality

• lesson 16 Internal flow . Mesh Quality

Posted by Raghu Karthik on December 1, 2023 at 12:26 pm

Hi,

For Internal flow (valve problem) from lesson 16- Ansys beginners. Fir the case of valve placed 1 mm above the seat when meshed I am getting close to 1/2 million cells its too many in number to run thousands of simulations. Is there any way we can reduce the number of cells. Once take a look at my mesh (included pics). The local sizing option : proximity with face sizing is creating millions of faces to resolve the gap (1mm*cos(45) = 0.707 mm, disc is slant to 45 degrees at the seat) . Note : Proximity is between edge and a face , not between 2 faces. When i chose edges and faces it gives me an error (it roughly says that edges can’t be used). So i am using Body of influence near the proximity regions. Made a small ribbon (toroid) that covers the proximity region and gave it a sizing. is there any better way i might do this instead of using a BOI.

Also there are cells with poor quality at one specific region ( image included). It is happening at the boundary too . Here too is there anything that can be suggested to explain the cause or resolve the issue.

Cell Quality [Measure : Orthogonal]

Minimum = 0.078141708, Maximum = 0.99996947, Average = 0.94873878.

Marking Cells in Range (0.078141708 0.12814171)…

Info: Total marked entities in the range is 943, is limited to 238 by max number of allowable cell clusters (10).

+—————-+————–+

| Cluster Number | Entity Count |

+—————-+————–+

| 1 | 67 |

| 2 | 5 |

| 3 | 4 |

| 4 | 2 |

| 5 | 2 |

| 6 | 17 |

| 7 | 71 |

| 8 | 4 |

| 9 | 8 |

| 10 | 2 |

| 11 | 25 |

| 12 | 4 |

| 13 | 9 |

| 14 | 2 |

| 15 | 1 |

| 16 | 4 |

| 17 | 1 |

| 18 | 10 |

+—————-+————–+

Thank you

MIDHUN MURALI replied 6 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Raghu Karthik

December 1, 2023 at 12:53 pm

Follow up issue :
    After I used in prove mesh I got to 0.12 orthogonal quality and all problematic cells are at once feature of the geometry . is that ok enough or will i see convergence problems

• MIDHUN MURALI

December 1, 2023 at 2:35 pm

Haie,

The issue may be first case as the clearance is low for other cases it may be okey . Can you also check the aspect ratio in fluent and the range (150 -200) is okey.

Regards

M Midhun

• Raghu Karthik

December 2, 2023 at 4:25 am

i got a max aspect ratio of 407

• Raghu Karthik

December 2, 2023 at 4:42 am

I got a max aspect ratio of 407. It is the large size of faces here (shown in pic). why are edges not resolved properly? how to do edge sizing in fluent meshing? . I know of curvature local sizing option but for edges there is no curvature. i searched elsewhere , sources mentioned that edge sizing not possible in fluent meshing. is there any trick that can be used here.

• MIDHUN MURALI

December 2, 2023 at 11:02 am

Haie ,

Its possible please check the sizing tab.

error: Content is protected !!