Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums OpenFOAM Forum Lecture_24_Golf_ball_case

• Lecture_24_Golf_ball_case

Posted by Barış Bicer on May 28, 2022 at 10:29 am

Hi everyone,

I have revised the golf ball case and run both in serial and parallel up to 750 iterations. There is no problem. Sandeep will upload the new_test_case folder for golf ball case. In test case folder you can find my latest time step (750 and log file) before run please remove folder 750 and log file then you can try both serail or parallel.

Please download it and try.

If you face any problem please write down here!

Best.

Ps: I am moving tomorrow another country therefore I will be replying you a bit late.

Barış.

Barış Bicer replied 1 year, 3 months ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Mehmet Berk AZDURAL

March 7, 2023 at 12:35 pm

Hi Dr. Biçer,
    I have deleted all the solutions you have created.
    I wanted to solve the case from scratch. However, snappyHexMesh failed in both serial and parallel trials.
    I have checked the triSurface. All .stls except the sphere_orig.stl are ascii.
    I guess sphere_orig.stl should have been ascii too, but it is binary.
    Here is the error I get:

Handling cells with warped patch faces …
    Set displacement to zero on 0 warped faces since layer would be > 0.5 of the size of the bounding box.

patch faces layers avg thickness[m]
    near-wall overall
    —– —– —— ——— ——-
    golfBall 32311 1 0.000117 0.000116

Adding in total 0 inter-processor patches to handle extrusion of non-manifold processor boundaries.
    ————————————————————————–
    MPI_ABORT was invoked on rank 3 in communicator MPI_COMM_WORLD
    with errorcode 1.

NOTE: invoking MPI_ABORT causes Open MPI to kill all MPI processes.
    You may or may not see output from other processes, depending on
    exactly when Open MPI kills them.
    ————————————————————————–
    Selecting externalDisplacementMeshMover displacementMedialAxis
    displacementMedialAxis : Calculating distance to Medial Axis …

• Mehmet Berk AZDURAL

March 7, 2023 at 12:46 pm

Here is the serial error:

Handling cells with warped patch faces …
    Set displacement to zero on 0 warped faces since layer would be > 0.5 of the size of the bounding box.

patch faces layers avg thickness[m]
    near-wall overall
    —– —– —— ——— ——-
    golfBall 32311 1 0.000117 0.000117

Adding in total 0 inter-processor patches to handle extrusion of non-manifold processor boundaries.
    Selecting externalDisplacementMeshMover displacementMedialAxis
    displacementMedialAxis : Calculating distance to Medial Axis …

–> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR: (openfoam-2212)
    Entry ‘minMedialAxisAngle’ not found in dictionary “/home/innorma/OpenFOAM/innorma-v2212/run/golf_ball_test_case/system/snappyHexMeshDict.addLayersControls”

file: system/snappyHexMeshDict.addLayersControls at line 212.

From bool Foam::dictionary::readEntry(const Foam::word&, T&, Foam::keyType::option, Foam::IOobjectOption::readOption) const [with T = double]
    in file /usr/src/packages/BUILD/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude/dictionaryTemplates.C at line 327.

FOAM exiting

• Mehmet Berk AZDURAL

March 7, 2023 at 12:54 pm

I have solved it. “minMedianAxisAngle”  in the snappyHexMeshDict file shoul have been “minMedialAxisAngle”.

• Barış Bicer

March 7, 2023 at 4:35 pm

Hi Mehmet,

It is nice to solve it by yourself. However, if you used the template why you got this error and the naming is changed in your case. Can you elobrate it please!

Thank you!

• Mehmet Berk AZDURAL

March 7, 2023 at 6:49 pm

I have downloaded and rechecked the template.
    The error was due to the template. After I changed “minMedianAxisAngle” to “minMedialAxisAngle” it worked normally.
    However, after I solved parallel successfully reconstructPar did not work as expected and showed some errors.

I have tried both Ubuntu 18.04LTS and Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS. I have got the error below.

–> FOAM Warning :
    From virtual Foam::polyMesh::readUpdateState Foam::polyMesh::readUpdate()
    in file meshes/polyMesh/polyMeshIO.C at line 210
    Number of patches has changed. This may have unexpected consequences. Proceed with care.
    –> FOAM Warning :
    From int main(int, char**)
    in file reconstructPar.C at line 369
    readUpdate for the reconstructed mesh:3
    readUpdate for the processor meshes :0
    These should be equal or your addressing might be incorrect. Please check your time directories for any mesh directories.
    Reconstructing FV fields

Reconstructing volScalarFields

Q

–> FOAM FATAL ERROR: (openfoam-2212)
    Cannot dereference nullptr at index 2 in range [0,3)

From const T& Foam::UPtrList<T>::operator[](Foam::label) const [with T = Foam::fvPatchField<double>; Foam::label = int]
    in file /usr/src/packages/BUILD/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude/UPtrListI.H at line 247.

FOAM aborting

#0 Foam::error::printStack(Foam::Ostream&) in ~/openfoam2212/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so
    #1 Foam::error::simpleExit(int, bool) in ~/openfoam2212/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so
    #2 Foam::error::exiting(int, bool) in ~/openfoam2212/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libOpenFOAM.so
    #3 Foam::GeometricBoundaryField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh>::GeometricBoundaryField(Foam::fvBoundaryMesh const&, Foam::DimensionedField<double, Foam::volMesh> const&, Foam::PtrList<Foam::fvPatchField<double> > const&) in ~/openfoam2212/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libfiniteVolume.so
    #4 Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > Foam::fvFieldReconstructor::reconstructField<double>(Foam::IOobject const&, Foam::PtrList<Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > const&) const in ~/openfoam2212/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libreconstruct.so
    #5 Foam::tmp<Foam::GeometricField<double, Foam::fvPatchField, Foam::volMesh> > Foam::fvFieldReconstructor::reconstructVolumeField<double>(Foam::IOobject const&) const in ~/openfoam2212/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libreconstruct.so
    #6 int Foam::fvFieldReconstructor::reconstructVolumeFields<double>(Foam::UPtrList<Foam::IOobject const> const&) in ~/openfoam2212/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libreconstruct.so
    #7 Foam::fvFieldReconstructor::reconstructAllFields(Foam::IOobjectList const&, Foam::wordRes const&) in ~/openfoam2212/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/lib/libreconstruct.so
    #8 ? in ~/openfoam2212/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/bin/reconstructPar
    #9 ? in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
    #10 __libc_start_main in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
    #11 ? in ~/openfoam2212/platforms/linux64GccDPInt32Opt/bin/reconstructPar
    Aborted

• Mehmet Berk AZDURAL

March 7, 2023 at 7:34 pm

Okay, sorry for spamming the forum. Reconstructpar works as usual.

I was not ReconstructingMesh after the parallel meshing and trying to solve blockmesh.

After ReconstructMesh, I had to lower under-relaxation factor of U to 0.6 from fvSolution.

It was diverging at first 10th iterations. Now, it seems normal.

• Barış Bicer

March 8, 2023 at 9:31 pm

ok good to know that Mehmet. Thanks for information

error: Content is protected !!