Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums CFD foundation course: Forum L1 CFD Foundation

• L1 CFD Foundation

Posted by Naimish on October 1, 2023 at 12:31 am

1. L1 on 1:35 – What is the meaning of High Fidelity CFD? Can anyone please share some websites or sources where I can look?

2. 5:37, Discretize and sole, what is the meaning of discretization?

3. What is the difference between Scripting and programming? Can anyone give me a specific example?

Naimish replied 6 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Sandeep

Administrator
    October 1, 2023 at 11:06 pm

Hi Naimish,
    High fidelity CFD means when you are interested in capturing more physics which are numerically and computationally very expensive. For example, to simulate any fluid dynamics problems with high accuracy, we need to capture turbulence accurately. There are different levels to capture turbulence in simulations like RANS which is computationally less expensive, and to the other extreme, we have LES and DNS which are very accurate but computationally expensive. It may take several months of simulations using the cluster/supercomputer itself.
    You are only in the first lesson of the course, you will learn more about it moving forward.

2. Discretization applies to geometry and also to the partial differential equation. You will learn it in the coming lessons and several lessons are dedicated to that.

3. They are nearly the same. But scripting languages like MATLAB are already programmed using C/C++. So scripts are relatively easy to understand and easy to code. Programs are lengthy but more efficient. In CFD we often need to make short scripts for postprocessing of data etc., for which you don’t need to have extensive coding/programming experience.

• Naimish

October 2, 2023 at 2:31 am

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

error: Content is protected !!