Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums OpenFOAM Forum gnuplot call not working under WSL

• gnuplot call not working under WSL

Posted by John on November 14, 2023 at 7:00 am

Working my way through the assignment. Current step I’m on is to plot the residuals.
    gnuplot> set logscale y
    gnuplot> plot “logs/p_0” u 1:2 w l, “logs/pFinalRes_0” u 1:2 w l
    qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display
    qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin “xcb” in “” even though it was found.
    This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
    I am running Ubuntu on WSL and wondering if anyone else has stumbled at their first attempt to use gnuplot? I went down a deep rabbit hole googling error messages and trying various “fixes” but no luck yet.

Barış Bicer replied 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Rahul

November 14, 2023 at 1:09 pm

Hi John,

Any GUI application such as GNU plot and Paraview will not open from the command line using WSL. You can install the Windows application for GNU plot directly from the website (http://www.gnuplot.info/) and use the windows application to plot the graphs.
    After opening GNU plot in Windows, set the current working directory to the directory where the files to be plotted are located, and then you can use the gnu plot commands in the gnuplot command line to obtain the plots.
    Best regards
    Rahul
    Flowthermolab Support

• John

November 15, 2023 at 7:30 am

Thanks Rahul! It is working fine through the windows application.

• Barış Bicer

November 19, 2023 at 9:47 pm

Hi,

I already showed it in the preliminery introduction section at the beginning of the course. Please ask support yo provide the recorded videos.

error: Content is protected !!