Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums OpenFOAM Forum Difference in results between ANSYS and OpenFOAM

• Difference in results between ANSYS and OpenFOAM

Posted by María Manuela Rosales on September 9, 2023 at 8:01 am

Good morning dear prof. Baris and collegues,

I’ve read like 2 articles that compares simulations between ANSYS and OpenFOAM with ‘same settings’ . Both simulations could be quite similar but variables can behave different from software to software, let’s say U increased at point A for ANSYS and U decreased at that same point in OpenFOAM. The main ’cause’ defined for this is that users can not reach ANSYS source code  to do the same set-ups…

In your experience, is it really the main cause why simulations could differ? Does it happen also between other software if we compare them?

Thank you,

Barış Bicer replied 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Barış Bicer

September 12, 2023 at 11:53 am

Hi Maria,

Thank you for a general question. As I have already used both codes, I can say to you that comparisons are in the literature are not trustable. They just give rough information about the comparison of one opensourve vs. commerical one.

I also dont believe these words : same-setting. This is indeed impossible to know how the main solver, turbulence models and all numerical schemes are implemented into commercial tools. They use lots of fixing contant parameters to keep the solutions stable.

Related to your question, I can say that maybe methods are same however I believe that implementations are mostly different in the codes.

For your info.

error: Content is protected !!