Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums CFD foundation course: Forum CFD basic session query

• CFD basic session query

Posted by Milan K John on May 20, 2022 at 7:47 am

What is the significance of curl and divergence in fluent software? I am so sorry when I see these videos because at my school level we learn all these concepts just for the sake of exams. But, these all mathematical concepts are too important. Are there any lectures where I can improve the basic concepts which explain the significance of the tools?

Sandeep replied 2 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Sandeep

Administrator
    May 20, 2022 at 3:34 pm

Hi Milan,
    Thanks for asking a good and very relevant question. The mathematical concepts, especially vector calculus is very important in CFD. If you want to learn it beyond just equations I recommend you to follow the mathematics textbook by Kreyzig (Advanced Engineering mathematics). Also, you can go through the initial chapters of the textbook: Fundamentals of Aerodynamics by John D Anderson.

Now coming back to your question, In fluent software or any CFD tool, curl is important to understand the vorticity or rotation in the flow field, similarly, divergence is another important concept for CFD. Divergence is even part of the continuity equation which is part of the set of equations you use to solve the fluid flow problems. It indicates the flow-in and flow-out basically. It will be more clear moving further in the course. I guess you are now in the first few lessons.

Hope that was useful.
    Best regards
    Sandeep

error: Content is protected !!