Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums ANSYS Fluent Beginners to Advanced level 2D Simulation – Discharge Coefficient of Nozzle

• 2D Simulation – Discharge Coefficient of Nozzle

Posted by Burak on October 28, 2023 at 6:37 pm

Hello everyone,

I have just completed the Assignment for Lesson 14. However, I’m uncertain if I’ve calculated the Cd values correctly. I calculated the theoretical flow rate using Bernoulli’s Equation and used Fluent results to calculate the ideal flow. I placed a measurement line at the end of the nozzle, obtained the average velocity value, and used this velocity to calculate the ideal flow. You can find my measurement line, Cd values in tabular data, and a graph attached. Since I’ve obtained an almost constant discharge coefficient, I’m unsure if I’ve made a mistake.

Thank you in advance
    Burak

Burak replied 4 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Burak

November 11, 2023 at 6:04 am

Up

• Sandeep

Administrator
    November 12, 2023 at 8:44 pm

Hi Burak,

Missed this question.

The ideal flow rate should be calculated based on the Bernoulli Equation. You should not take the velocity from the simulation for that. The simulation already accounts for viscous losses which is not an ideal condition. So for the ideal flow rate use the value of delta P, Area, and density.
    You can refer to this page for Cd calculation.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orifice_plate

• Burak

November 20, 2023 at 5:02 am

Hi Mr. Sandeep,

I appreciate for your explanations. I will check my calculations again and correct the results.

error: Content is protected !!