Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our <br>community around the world.

Home Forums ANSYS Fluent Beginners to Advanced level 16. Mesh local sizing – Globe Valve

• 16. Mesh local sizing – Globe Valve

Posted by Ayoub on March 8, 2024 at 8:56 am

Hey guys,

I’m running steady simulations on the test case of a globe valve of lesson 16, the results shown here are for the case: plug lift = 20 mm, ΔP = 1 bar.
    For fully lifted plug, I started to notice some unsteadiness developing throughout iterations, so I decided to use a finer mesh to investigate. I uploaded the results of :
    – Mesh 1 : facesize local sizing
    – Mesh 2: facesize + proximity local sizings.
    My question is how to tell which mesh yields the more accurate results in particular the force since they’re different by 20% and does this difference matter in industrial applications ?

MIDHUN replied 1 month, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Ayoub

March 8, 2024 at 8:57 am

I forget to attach the summary table of the meshes, here below.

Thanks.

• MIDHUN

March 12, 2024 at 10:14 am

Hi,

Grid independence test is a method used in computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analyses to ensure that the results obtained are not dependent on the grid resolution.

An optimal grid design is required to obtain accurate results. The grid independence test is generally performed to design an optimal grid. However,if you have student license, you have limitations of 1Million cells.

So you may want to check how much refined mesh you can get for grid independence study for a particular geometry. You can compute values of interest and see how they change as you refine the mesh. Once the value stops changing the error is a % difference against the “correct” answer that cell count is best.

Regards

Flowthermolab SupportTeam

error: Content is protected !!